Summer Garden

Summer Garden

Friday, August 5, 2011

Adventures in Gardening

Greetings from Domelandia,
About a month ago I went to visit the grandkids. Because of the drought, the garden needed daily watering and the Viking was charged with the task. The second day he observed (gasp!) a gopher mound. When I returned I reset his trap, showing him how deep the tunned was by sticking my hand and arm down into the hole.

The next day - BAM! - gopher was caught. I reset the trap in case any of his cousins had designs on my bean patch. I set a 5-gallon bucket full of sand over the hole. A couple of days went by and I moved the bucket. I pulled the chain attached to the gopher trap and heard a snap. "Aw, shoot," I thought. "I'll have to reset the trap."

I pulled the chain out and discovered a 30" rattlesnake caught right behind his head in the gopher trap. I said, "Ah!" (I was too surprised to scream really loud) and flung the trap away from myself. I had to put him out of his misery. I felt bad. The poor guy was only trying to do his job. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The grandson got the rattles. His mom said, "There aren't many grandmothers who give their grandsons this type of gift."

I will try not to do that again any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog. Love it! I would have saved the rattles for myself, selfish me.

    ReplyDelete